Reading e-books before bed.

Monday, October 01, 2012

Tangled Tides Excerpt


Kicking of the first day of October with Night Owl Reads' author of the month, Karen Amanda Hooper. Karen wrote two unique novels, Tangled Tides (The Sea Monster Memoirs #1) and Grasping at Eternity (The Kindrily Series #1), both books I enjoyed reading.

To start the month-long fun, I asked Karen to share her favorite scene from Tangled Tides. She said she had a hard time choosing but this scene won. It's one of her favorites and it's definitely mine. But before anything else, here's some infot about the book.


Title: Tangled Tides
Series: The Sea Monster Memoirs #1
Author: Karen Amanda Hooper
Publication Date: November 4th 2011
Publisher: Rhemalda Publishing
Goodreads
Yara Jones doesn’t believe in sea monsters—until she becomes one.

When a hurricane hits her island home and she wakes up with fins, Yara finds herself tangled up in an underwater world of mysterious merfolk and secretive selkies. Both sides believe Yara can save them by fulfilling a broken promise and opening the sealed gateway to their realm, but they are battling over how it should be done. The selkies want to take her life. The merfolk want something far more precious.

Treygan, the stormy-eyed merman who turned Yara mer, will stop at nothing and sacrifice everything to protect his people—until he falls for Yara. The tides turn as Yara fights to save herself, hundreds of sea creatures, and the merman who has her heart. She could lose her soul in the process—or she might open the gateway to a love that’s deeper than the oceans.

Young Adult fans of Mermaids, Selkies, Sirens and Gorgons will love this tale of the sacrifice one makes for genuine love. Love that could be lost at any moment to the ever-changing tides.

Excerpt (from Treygan's POV)
When I came back downstairs she was in the pool room. I hit the power button on the stereo and lively jazz music hummed through the house. I tore a small hole in each of the pillows I had grabbed from upstairs and tossed two to her. Her pout changed into a dazzling grin.

“A real pillow fight requires at least two bundles of feathers each.” I held my two pillows out at my sides. “This will get messy.”

“The messier the better.”

I let her take the first swing. Simultaneous hits on my hip and shoulder caused a few feathers to fly through the air. She watched them, giggling like a child. She was looking up, so I didn’t miss the opportunity to smack her in the stomach.

She must have had serious aggression bottled up, because she was relentless, smacking me nonstop. More feathers danced around us. I had never seen her laugh so hard, and it made me laugh too. It didn’t take long for her pillows to become flat and droopy. My eyes lit up with playful revenge.

She half-screamed a “nooo” through her laughing fit and ran away.

“Payback time,” I said, chasing her around the pool.

She turned and attempted to hit me with one of her limp pillowcases. Then she slowed down and dropped her weapons, putting her hands out in front of her. “You can’t really hit me, I’m a girl.”

I raised my pillows. “No, you’re a relentless Yamabuki.”

She pushed against my chest, keeping me at bay as she stepped backward. I kept moving forward, matching her step for step.

“Okay, okay, how about we make a deal?” she pleaded.

I shook my head and cocked my arm back to administer a severe pillow lashing. “No more deals. You’re mine.”

We were both so caught up in the moment that neither of us realized how close we had strayed to the pool. Yara took one last step backward. In that split second her eyes widened and her arms flew up. I tried to grab her, but it was too late. She splashed into the pool, feathers flying all around her.

She broke through the surface, coughing and spitting up water and laughing hysterically. She sifted wet feathers through her fingers. “A pillow fight in water. How appropriate for two sea monsters.”

I ripped open one of my pillows and flung its feathers into the air. Yara twirled around, trying to catch them while I dove in.

My eyes stung from the chlorine. I expected to grab her feet, but found her fins instead and pulled her back under. In an instant her tail transformed to legs and she wrapped them around me as we floated back to the surface.

“Thank you,” I said, wiping water from her face.

She pulled herself closer and squeezed her thighs tight around my hips. “For what?”

“For the best times of my life.”

“Thank you for granting my wish for a pillow fight.”

“If it were up to me, I would grant every wish you ever made.”



It's one of the sweetest scenes from the book. Did you like it? I hope you did. Treygan and Yara are cute together. Read my review of the book. :)

About Karen Amanda Hooper

I was born and bred in Baltimore, frolicked and froze in Colorado for a couple of years and I'm currently sunning and splashing around Florida with my two sweet and adorable dogs. I'm addicted to coffee, chocolate and complicated happily-ever-afters.

Giveaway

We're giving away ebook copies of Tangled Tides and Grasping at Eternity to 5 lucky people. Thank you Karen Hooper for your generous donation. ^_^

a Rafflecopter giveaway

10 comments:

  1. I actually already have Tangled Tides and am hoping to get to read it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rock, Nickle. Thanks so much for inviting me to be your author of the month. :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have Tangled Tides on my Kindle already and am looking forward to getting it read. It was the love of mermaids that drew me to it first (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have Tangled Tides on my Kindle already and am looking forward to getting it read. It was the love of mermaids that drew me to it first (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was my first mermaid book. I read another mermaid book and a 3-part series after it. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great read, sounds fantastic! Thanks for the chance to win

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks great! Love the cover! Thanks for the chance to win!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks great! Love the cover! Thanks for the chance to win!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another great read, sounds fantastic! Thanks for the chance to win

    ReplyDelete

Recent Comments

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *