Reading e-books before bed.

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Interview with Karen Amanda Hooper Part 1


The month is coming to an end but before we say goodbye to October, let's say "HELLO!" again to Karen Amanda Hooper. I interviewed her and asked a lot of questions, some relating to her books and some that are just random. I decided to cut the interview in two parts, and here's the first...


Nickle: Hello Karen! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to interview you. First of all, tell us something about yourself. How did you become a writer and was it something you wanted to be when you were growing up?

Karen: I wrote a lot of poems and short stories in high school. I took Creative Writing classes and always loved them, but I assumed I didn't have the patience or endurance to write a novel. Then out of the blue, a few years ago, the idea for Grasping at Eternity hit me and I couldn't stop writing. Now I can't imagine doing anything else.


Nickle: Who do you look up to, who are your influences or favorite authors?

Karen: My mom is my hero, so I look up to her, but she's also one of my best friends, so I turn to her for advice and support all the time. As far as influential authors, Diana Gabaldon really rocked my world with her Outlander series when I was in my late teens. I adore her writing and stories.

Nickle: Have you ever experienced writer's block and how do you deal with it?

Karen: Not yet--thank goodness! My problem is I don't have enough time to type out all the scenes and ideas that fill up my imagination. I need about eight more hours in the day just to write.

Nickle: In your Goodreads page, listed under genre are young adult, science fiction & fantasy, and romance, why did you choose to focus on those genres? Is it because of the trend or is there another reason?

Karen: Those are the kind of stories I love to read, so I write stories I'd want to read. I'm confident that any story I ever write will contain magic and romance of some.

Nickle: What inspired you to write Tangled Tides and Grasping at Eternity?

Karen: I wrote Grasping at Eternity years ago (first book I ever wrote), but it wasn't good enough to share with the world until recently. That one was inspired while I was baking Christmas cookies and listening to Ella Fitzgerald sing Someone to Watch Over Me.

Tangled Tides was inspired while I was walking my dogs and stumbled along a sidewalk full of dead, dried-up worms. Combine that and my childhood love for mermaids and the ocean, and I came up with Tangled Tides. My mind works in very twisted and weird ways.


Nickle: Are there people in your life that resembles your characters? Are your characters inspired from people you actually know? How do you come up with the names of your characters?

Karen: Grasping at Eternity is full of characters that are either inspired by people close to me, or they have names, personality traits, etc of people who hold a special place in my heart. Tangled Tides was pure imagination and lots of research on the meaning of names. Yara and Treygan's names fit them perfectly based on translations of their meaning. However, there will be a couple new characters in Dangerous Depths that will be named after two treasured fans of the first book.

Nickle: Your novels are listed as series, how many books did/do you plan to write with each series?

Karen: I'm working on the sequel to Tangled Tides (The Sea Monster Memoir series), and there will most likely be a book 3.

Grasping at Eternity (The Kindrily series) could probably go on for as long as I'm alive. I'll keep writing about those characters until readers stop reading about them.

Nickle: I'm sure you are working on the next book in each series, but was there ever a time that you were inspired to write about something entirely new?

Karen: Oh yes, at least once a week. I actually started two other totally different books but I haven't had enough time to write more than a few chapters. I wish I could figure out a way to clone myself so I could write three or four books at once.

***

That concludes the first part of the interview, be sure to check in next week for more Q&A with Karen.

In the meantime, here's some trivia Q&A from Tangled Tides:

Q: What does Yara smell like according to Treygan?
A: Apple blossoms.

Q: Was Rownan ever actually romantically interested in Yara?
A: No, he was faking a relationship with her as part of a plan to turn her into a selkie.

Q: What is Rownan’s wife’s name and what kind of sea creature is she?
A: Vienna, and she’s a selkie.

Q: What kind of sea creature was Nixie before she was promoted to a siren?
A: Water sprite

Q: What color was Yara’s human hair originally?
A: Brown


Giveaway

Five people will win ebook copies of Tangled Tides and Grasping at Eternity. Just fill in the rafflecopter widget below, wait for it to load or refresh the page if it doesn't.

a Rafflecopter giveaway

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Comments

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *