Reading e-books before bed.

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Grasping at Eternity Excerpt - Nathan's Birthday


3rd week in the Karen Amanda Hooper Is Awesome month! This is a special week because the cover for Taking Back Forever, book 2 in the Kindrily Series, was revealed yesterday and it's Nathan's birthday today! WOOT! Some blogs who are participating in the reveal were provided with a special birthday celebration post, which you will find here.


Leave it to Maryah Woodsen to break the one rule that will screw up eternity: Never erase your memories.

Before entering this life, Maryah did the unthinkable—she erased. Now, at seventeen years old, she’s clueless that her new adoptive family has known her for centuries, that they are perpetually reincarnated souls, and that they have supernatural abilities. Oh, and she's supposed to love (not despise) Nathan, the green-eyed daredevil who saved her life.

Nathan is convinced his family’s plan to spark Maryah's memory is hopeless, but his love for her is undying. After spending (and remembering) so many lifetimes together, being around an empty version of his soulmate is heart shattering. He hates acting like a stalker, but has no choice because the evil outcast who murdered Maryah in their last lifetime is still after her.

While Maryah’s hunter inches closer, she and Nathan make assumptions and hide secrets that rip them further apart. Maryah has to believe in the magic within her, Nathan must have faith in the power of their love, and both need to grasp onto the truth before they lose each other forever—and discover just how lonely eternity can be.

X-MEN meets MY NAME IS MEMORY in Karen Amanda Hooper’s latest young adult release.

I was supposed to post this last Sunday, but since Karen chose the scene from Nathan's birthday, we agreed that it would be best to post it on the day itself. Weeee!

I hope you enjoy this scene as much as I did, it is told in Nathan's POV. I really love the concept of this book and the characters are so lovable and the author is amazing. <3
We all gathered on the launch field, watching balloons light up the sky.

Maryah used to have the most expressive face. One of my favorite pastimes was watching her delicate features twist and dance as thoughts ran through her mind. Tonight, her expressions gave nothing away, so I focused on her eyes. They were devoid of all light—like gazing upon the Black Hole. They used to sparkle like emeralds. My emeralds, my treasure, then, now, and eternally.

What I wouldn’t give to hear her speak those words again.

The crowd whooped and whistled as more balloons took to the sky. Faith excitedly pinched Maryah’s hip. The “All Burns” tradition began. Every burner ignited as orbs of color floated across the sky.

Finally, Maryah’s eyes twinkled.

For a few sacred moments, joy flooded through her. I couldn’t look away. Even as an almost empty shell of a being, she was stunning. She lowered her chin and turned toward me. Alas, she smiled. Not a false or uncomfortable smile like she exhibited throughout the day, but a genuine smile. I took my place by her side.

“It’s breathtaking,” she whispered.

The breeze blew strands of hair across her face. I resisted the urge to push them away. “Indeed, it is.”

“You get to see this every year?”

“Almost every year since the festival began.” I felt safe saying it. She had no knowledge of the length of the festival’s history, or that she’d been here before. We stood together, watching hundreds of glowing balloons. It felt as if Maryah and I were the only two souls on Earth. At last, I admired the sky with the one soul whose beauty easily surpassed the heavens we looked upon.

I wanted to stay with her in that moment forever, but the first loud booms of fireworks erupted. It startled her, but she smiled when the explosion of color burst through the darkness.

“All this fuss for you and your birthday?” Maryah teased through chattering teeth.

I removed my jacket and wrapped it around her. “I assure you, all of this is about much more than me.”


What do you think? Isn't it swoon-worthy? I love Nathan. BTW, here's my review of GAE.

If you haven't read this book yet, it's your lucky day! Karen is giving away 5 copies of Grasping at Eternity and Tangled Tides.

Tangled Tides is Karen's other novel, it's about mermaids and I featured it for the past two weeks. Here's an excerpt from the book, character profiles, and my review.

a Rafflecopter giveaway

3 comments:

  1. Yaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy! Happy Birthday, Nathan! Birthdays aren't a big deal to him (he has had way too many over his many lifetimes. lol) but we can still party in his honor. :)

    Thanks again for all this fun Author of the Month fun-ness. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! Happy birthday Nathan!
    Thank you, Karen, for bringing him to our lives. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hapyy Birthday Nathan. I hope you get your kiss from Maryah, you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete

Recent Comments

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *