Reading e-books before bed.

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Stacking the Shelves [2]

TOUR RECAP [AUGUST 5-18]
Grey Wolves #5 Cover Reveal


I didn't receive anything from the (e)mail, so I'm skipping In My Mailbox. But I did get some free ebooks so I'm doing Stacking the (virtual) Shelves instead. WOOT!


Stacking The Shelves is a weekly meme, hosted by Tynga's Reviews, and is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves, may it be physical or virtual.

This week, I availed of the sneak peek of The Archived by Victoria Schwab from NetGalley. To give you an idea what it's about, here's some info and the blurb of the book.

Title: The Archived
Author: Victoria Schwab
Genre: YA Urban Fantasy/Paranormal
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Publish date: January 22, 2013
Goodreads | Amazon
Imagine a place where the dead rest on shelves like books.

Each body has a story to tell, a life seen in pictures that only Librarians can read. The dead are called Histories, and the vast realm in which they rest is the Archive.

Da first brought Mackenzie Bishop here four years ago, when she was twelve years old, frightened but determined to prove herself. Now Da is dead, and Mac has grown into what he once was, a ruthless Keeper, tasked with stopping often-violent Histories from waking up and getting out. Because of her job, she lies to the people she loves, and she knows fear for what it is: a useful tool for staying alive.

Being a Keeper isn't just dangerous—it's a constant reminder of those Mac has lost. Da's death was hard enough, but now her little brother is gone too. Mac starts to wonder about the boundary between living and dying, sleeping and waking. In the Archive, the dead must never be disturbed. And yet, someone is deliberately altering Histories, erasing essential chapters. Unless Mac can piece together what remains, the Archive itself might crumble and fall.

In this haunting, richly imagined novel, Victoria Schwab reveals the thin lines between past and present, love and pain, trust and deceit, unbearable loss and hard-won redemption.

I am so excited to read this even if it's just a sneak peek. It sounds really, really good and Goodreads reviewers think it's awesome.

I also got 3 free ebooks from Smashwords.

Title: Parallel Worlds: Nothing is as it Seems
Author: Heather Macauley Noƫll
Genre: YA Fantasy
Goodreads | Smashwords
On the surface, the story is about a pair of teenagers, trapped in a parallel world. They must retrieve information from their past lifetimes before they can return to their own world.

Yet underlying the story is a message so powerful, so life-changing and controversial, it has been concealed for thousands of years - because these truths are capable of changing our current world forever.




Title: Kiss on the Bridge
Author: Mark Stewart
Genre: YA Romance
Goodreads | Smashwords
Kiss on the bridge is set in the year 1974. Cyclone Tracy made land fall in Darwin on 25th December 1974 at 9:55am desecrating Darwin. After Tracy had swept the state there was nothing left except this story. Out of the ruins love sparked and mushroomed between Anneli and Wade. They were destined to meet and tell their story for decades to come.



Title: Starfire Angels
Series: Dark Angel Chronicles #1
Author: Melanie Nilles
Genre: YA Sci-fi & Fantasy
Goodreads | Smashwords
They've been coming here for thousands of years, using Earth as a sanctuary to escape threats from their own kind. Mankind knows them as angels, and one of them left a child upon her death to be raised as a human.

Raea is now a high school senior, and her life as a human is about to end. The crystal shard she bears is not a pretty pendant; it's a collective of powerful entities who chose her as their Keeper, a protector of one of the four shards that power a machine capable of destroying whole worlds. Those who desire the Starfire's power have sent an agent to find her, but she's too busy evading a nosy reporter ready to exploit her secret and dating a hot new foreign student to notice. Nevermind learning what she really is.

Only one person on Earth can help her, the last person she ever expected. But he's not from Earth. Life as a human would be so much easier.

Apart from those, I also got free Kindle books again.
  1. All Hallows' Moon (Seasons of the Moon #2) by SM Reine
  2. A Hidden Fire: Elemental Mysteries Book 1 by Elizabeth Hunter
  3. The Perfect Ring: A Short Story by Rachel Elizabeth Cole
  4. The Emerald Talisman (Talisman Series, Book 1) by Brenda Pandos
  5. The Forever Contract (A Dystopian YA Novella) by Avery Sawyer
  6. The Binding (The Velesi Trilogy) by L. Filloon
  7. Secrets (The Guardian Trilogy) by Liz Schulte

That's my haul for the week. I really should stop hoarding books to make time for the once I already have. Oh well, so what's your haul from the past week?

8 comments:

  1. Nice picks! I picked up The Forever Contract this week too.



    Have a great week.




    Alison at The Cheap Reader

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great haul of books this week. I think everyone got the sneak peek of the Archived this week.

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got an interesting selection of books. I am interesting in The Archived but will wait until I can read it all. An excerpt just sounds frustrating to me. I understand about being a book hoarder. My TBR mountain is over 1000 books tall right now. My new books posts are here and here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I mostly read YA, but want to expand the range of what I read. I try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think so too. I'm new with NetGalley, haven't requested anything yet because I'm still booked!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeaaah The Archived :D ! I'm currently reading The Near Witch and I love her writing. I can't wait to read this one and like you I was really excited even if it's only a sneak peek ^^.


    Happy reading from France !
    And if you are interested i'm doing an international giveaway on my blog to celebrate my 2 year blogoversary :D !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh and it's Marie from ifmarybooks.blogspot.com by the way :)

    ReplyDelete

Recent Comments

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *