Reading e-books before bed.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

In My Mailbox [1]


In My Mailbox is a weekly meme, hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren, in which book lovers can compare their book hauls from the previous week.

As the number in the title states, this is my first time to joining this meme. I was doing my own thing [Digital Library Addition] for the past weeks since I often get ebooks instead of physical books but I found out I could participate in this meme and include ebooks in my entry.

I'm not sure if I could do this weekly of every other week but at the moment, the best option for me is monthly. I'll do this every end of the month. With that, I'll include titles that I received for free in exchange of honest reviews.

~Purchased~


I'll start with the first and only physical book I purchased from Booksale, a bookstore that sells pre-loved books for half the price or lower.


Title: Graceling
Series: Graceling Realm [1]
Author: Kristin Cashore
Edition: Paperback
Add to Goodreads

In a world where people born with an extreme skill - called a Grace - are feared and exploited, Katsa carries the burden of the skill even she despises: the Grace of killing. She lives under the command of her uncle Randa, King of the Middluns, and is expected to execute his dirty work, punishing and torturing anyone who displeases him.

When she first meets Prince Po, who is Graces with combat skills, Katsa has no hint of how her life is about to change.

She never expects to become Po's friend.

She never expects to learn a new truth about her own Grace - or about a terrible secret that lies hidden far away...a secret that could destroy all seven kingdoms with words alone.

I've read a lot of good reviews about this book/series and I've had an ebook copy for ages but never got around to reading it, so I was so happy to find a paperback copy in Booksale where it's rare to find a pretty popular YA novel in their shelves. This one costs Php145 or roughly $3.30

~Won in Contests~


Last week, I won ebook copies of whole The Syrenka Series from Mandy of I Read Indie.


Title: Promises
Series: The Syrenka Series [1]
Author: Amber Garr
Edition: e-book
Add to Goodreads

When seventeen-year-old Eviana Dumahl is faced with the responsibility of an arranged marriage and clan leadership, she is forced to choose between the life required of a mermaid and one of a teenage girl simply infatuated with the wrong guy. Kain, her devoted fiancĂ© would make a wonderful husband except that she’s been in love with Brendan, a shape-shifting selkie, ever since they were kids. Choosing to abandon her family, her clan, and her life with Kain will have dire consequences far beyond anything she could have imagined.

A war is brewing amongst the clans and Eviana unwittingly becomes a pawn in the intricate schemes of a twisted mastermind. With Brendan’s life on the line, she has no choice but to involve those who she once considered friends. Amidst encountering senseless tragedies and immense loss, Eviana discovers that she is more valuable as a clan leader than anyone ever suspected. Her survival is not only dependent upon the loyalty of her friends, but also on her acceptance of a life that she had so adamantly tried to escape.

Promises is the first book of The Syrenka Series trilogy following Eviana and her friends through the perils of growing up in a discrete world that inherently threatens human society.

I finished reading this the other day and I liked it. Review will be out in a few days/weeks.


Title: Betrayed
Series: The Syrenka Series [2]
Author: Amber Garr
Edition: e-book
Add to Goodreads

Life as a mermaid can be suffocating. Eviana Dumahl has returned home as a clan leader, an orphan, and a heartbroken teenage girl. Her parents are dead and her boyfriend, Brendan, has decided that he needs some time away. While battling her inner turmoil, Eviana is forced into the war that Lucian Sutherland has incited amongst her own kind. With the help of Kain, her friend and formally betrothed, the two work together to prove that they deserve their birthrights as young merfolk leaders.

When the Council requests a demonstration of Eviana’s mermaid powers, she finds herself with an opportunity to win back Brendan’s heart. But her orders to train with a repulsive merman and the presence of an attractive new suitor challenges Eviana to embrace her leadership and resist temptation. Lucian is after her, and no one seems to understand why. Loyalties are tested as the casualties increase, showing Eviana that sometimes it is impossible to delineate between friends and enemies.



Title: Arise
Series: The Syrenka Series [3]
Author: Amber Garr
Edition: e-book
Add to Goodreads

With power comes the responsibility to accept its consequences.

After the betrayal of those closest to her, Eviana Dumahl struggles to cope with her new reality. Kidnapped, broken, and confused, she is forced to engage in a war that will alter merfolk politics forever. With her estranged father leading the charge, Eviana has no choice but to stand by his side. Her continued existence hinges on the acceptance of the power growing inside her, even when that means embracing the family’s dark lineage.

Kain Matthew will sacrifice the world for Eviana. And he is not alone. As time runs out, her friends fight to save her life and theirs. An unlikely alliance gives them the edge they need to take a stand, although it keeps Eviana’s heart trapped in the past. A new discovery explains some of her previous mistakes, but it may not be enough to stop her father’s plans. Merfolk, selkies, and water sprites work together to save their kind, only in this final battle, not everyone will survive.

In the striking series conclusion, Eviana will learn the true meaning of power, sacrifice, and love.

I'm so excited with the Syrenka Series because I have been into merfolk stories lately. So far I have enjoyed every single one I've read; Not that I've read plenty. Hahaha! There's Tangled Tides and Of Poseidon. XD

I also recently received a copy of Savage by Willow Rose for review! It's the first book in the Daughters of Jaguar series. I'm going to be part of the tour this August 22nd and it's my first time to host too I'm super duper excited!


Title: Savage
Series: Daughters of Jaguar [1]
Author: Willow Rose
Edition: e-book
Add to Goodreads

The year is 1983. Christian is 22 years old when he leaves his home in Denmark to spend a year in Florida with a very wealthy family and go to med-school. A joyful night out with friends is shattered by an encounter with a savage predator that changes his life forever. Soon he faces challenges he had never expected. A supernatural gift he has no idea how to embrace. A haunting family in the house next door. A spirit-filled girl who seems to carry all the answers. An ancient secret hidden in the swamps of Florida. One life never the same. One love that becomes an obsession. Two destinies that will be forever entangled.

Savage is a paranormal romance with some language, violence, and sexual situations recommended for ages sixteen and up.

Watch out for that tour, it's going to be AWESOME!

Check out the other ebooks I got for free for the month of July. [1] [2] [3]

3 comments:

  1. Great haul! I recently picked up Graceling at the library and I'm looking forward to reading it. I've heard many great things about it. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some good books. I have seen promises around quite a bit.
    http://jennreneeread.blogspot.com/2012/08/mailbox-monday-27-and-stacking-shelves-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome haul! I recently picked up Graceling at the Library and I can't wait to read it. I've heard nothing but great things. :) I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

Recent Comments

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *